When I saw this Daily Prompt I automatically held my breath, my face froze and stomach twisted as the blog posts that were the most uncomfortable, shameful, painful and totally nerve racking immediately sprung to mind.
No hesitation, no deliberation.
When you read the above post (and the others if you wish), you’ll understand why.
Because it is usually the case that the worst harm sexual abuse inflicts is on our souls and psyches and not our bodies.
Tissues heal, bruises fade, cuts scab over as our body fights infection and autonomically seals, replenishes and protects itself.
But the hot, wet, smarting, pulsating wound of our shame, anger and fear sticks around so much longer, usually because our minds tell us it was all our fault, there is something wrong with us and we deserved no better.
And on that basis, we tend to continue to treat ourselves with disgust and contempt for years, allowing ourselves to be mistreated repeatedly, or hiding away from the opposite sex, convinced that everyone wants to do us harm so we will never let anyone close again.
Setting my story free was both terrifying and liberating as I’d kept it tucked away for decades and was sure that I’d be judged by all and sundry to be the dirty little slapper that I was.
But I’d totally misjudged my followers, and the support and succour they provided me over those four days helped heal my heart, mind and soul more than I can say.
Through sharing my story I realised that I was so much more than this bag of bones, flesh and fluid, and had I known this at the time, I would have forgiven myself more readily, and been open and willing to heal myself wholly instead of clasping my secret to me like an ugly, dirty, battered old doll.
If anyone reading has ever had experience of sexual abuse, I can’t tell you what to think or do, but I would say that sharing your story with someone, be it a counsellor, a family member or on here (anonymously or otherwise) will lance that wound, pour healing waters over it and let all the poison out.
Do that much for yourself.
For you are beautiful, God’s child, a unique, complex and extraordinary creation.
And the fact that some selfish, animalistic oaf (or oafs) took it upon themselves to avail themselves of your body without your permission, or by taking advantage or your vulnerability or lack of self esteem, should not clip your wings.
Flick them off, tend your wounds, leave them in the filthy gutter where they belong and fly away.
If you can forgive them, because it will benefit you, then do so. If you cannot, don’t sweat it. Leave them to their fate.
For you have better things waiting for you in your future.
Namaste beautiful sisters and brothers and thank you again for your love and support xxx
Trackbacks & Pingbacks
- Daily Prompt: Release me – Out with the old, in with the new | littlegirlstory
- Daily Propmt: Release Me | Under the Monkey Tree
- Daily Prompt: Release Me | Awl and Scribe
- Daily Prompt: Release Me | Chicomallorca’s Blog
- The Funny Song | JC Bride ~
- ••Set !t Free•• | mët•aRVhëë•n✪ia
- Daily Prompt: Release Me #photography | ThisCornerOfTheWoods
- Nervous nah, not me | RPMAS
- Daily Prompt: Release Me | A Mixed Bag
- Irish skies|Daily Prompt: Release Me « Ireland, Multiple Sclerosis and Me
- Free Indeed | Prayers and Promises
- Blogging Is Freedom | The Ambitious Drifter
- Release Me | Life Confusions
- Please release me | Neva Samaki
- Sex or Lance-a-Lot?! | alienorajt
- S. Thomas Summers | Daily Prompt: Release Me
- Crow Arrow, Inc.
- Thank you everyone for the love and support | Processing the life
- A Soul’s Plight |
- Daily Prompt: Release me | Motherhood and Beyond
- Daily Prompt: RELEASE ME? FEAR THEN NOTHING MUCH | SERENDIPITY
- I Want To Break Free: Daily Post | Just Visiting This Planet
- To All Bloggers And Writers: When It Comes To Writing, Regret (Yes) Fret (No) | The Jittery Goat
- Nervous | Hope* the happy hugger
- Daily Prompt: Release Me | Moments Thru Lens
- Daily Prompt: Release Me | Chronicles of an Anglo Swiss
- The Fear of the Blog | readingwithafeather
- Freedom, Baby yeah…! | The Rider
- Prompt Post | Completely Disappear
- Mystery story | Life is great
- Free | The Magic Black Book
- check yourself before you wreck yourself | The Gallas Daily News
- Daily Prompt, Release me (http://dailypost.wordpress.com/2013/10/20/daily-prompt-free/) | … Lara Klopp … Variegated Musings …
- My.Vivid.Visions | Daily Prompt: Release Me – Annoying Marriage Discussions
- The Unknown | Flowers and Breezes
- I am Free | ayimas
- Daily Prompt: Release Me « Mama Bear Musings
- Be Afraid Be Very Afraid-It could come back to bite | Kansa Muse
- Putting words to your thought | crookedeyebrows
- Daily Prompt: Release Me | a thotful spot
- Release Me: Letting Go and Moving On | Hey, Miss Adventures!
- Daily prompt: Release Me: An Expereience Worth Sharing | storyofmylife1993
- And the Journey Begins; India | Broken Light: A Photography Collective
- The sound of release | Mirrorgirl
- Setting The Donkey Free | Fish Of Gold
- If I had a time machine or woulda, coulda, shoulda | The Road Less Paved
- Release Me | Kate Murray
- Daily Prompt: Release Me | Charron’s Chatter
- This thing called life. | Perhaps yes, perhaps no. Exactly? I don’t know.
- Release Me: On a rocking horse of time | dark circles, etc
- Daily Prompt: Release Me | Undecided Answer
- Break Me Free – Love, Sex & Poetry (Daily Prompt – Free) | Linda Long Writes!
- Daily Prompt: Release Me | To Breathe is to Write
- Daily Prompt: Release Me! | One Starving Activist
- Freedom and Writing… | sltimewellwasted
- The Cathartic Power of Writing and Blogging | Rob’s Surf Report
- Setting me free | Muddy River Muse
- When To Safely Hit “Publish” And When To Hold Back! | The Political and Social Chaos Blog
- Free | That girl with the spectrespecs
- The Artist’s Job | Babsje Heron
- Release Me | Zirkus des Lebens
- Run, RUN! The Cheesy-ness will kill us all! | The Moonshaker
- Bringing A Long Held Goal to Light | mycookinglifebypatty
- Daily prompt: release me | La chica de la burbuja
- “I say release me…” | Life as a country bumpkin…not a city girl
- Standing In My Way | Apologies and Honesty
- DP: Release Me. « Restawyle
- Daily Prompt: Release Me | The RadiantMedina and the Author of Sheep
- Daily Prompt: Release Me (Shyness) | DeafGuy Blog
- Don’t Believe Everything You Think | True Stories
- Daily Prompt: Release Me | Basically Beyond Basic
- Daily Prompt: Release Me | Such Promise (Carabela Santa Maria Robusto) « Smoking Jacket
- A Different Kind of Letting Go | Love in the Spaces
- Release Me: Living with G.A.D. | Fifth Time A Charm!
- No Backspace Button | Wiley’s Wisdom
- Daily Prompt Challenge ~ “Free” | soletusknow
- Weekly Photo Challenge – The Hue of You (With abject apologies to poets everywhere and a bit about the daily prompt below) | Points of View
- Daily Prompt: Release Me | Wordz on a Page
- Book Review: Who I Am by Pete Townshend | Required Writing
- Finding My Release | submissivelysecret
- Daily Prompt: Release Me | My Atheist Blog
- Release Me | The Nameless One