I started the New Year on a high.
Reeling and spinning wildly to an Irish folk band with my friends, when midnight struck, I thought ‘What am amazing start to the year! Surely only good things can follow a night like this!’
Then the rain came.
Then Christmas was over.
The decorations come down.
Then reality bites.
I’m almost broke, still unemployed, still nuts, and have so, so very much to do.
And much of it is out of my hands. How I hate been beholden to or having to rely on anyone else.
So I made like a very grey squirrel and hibernated under the duvet as the storms ripped and swirled and howled outside my bedroom window.
So today is essentially the first day of my 2014 and dawned when I was rudely awakened by the postman trying to deliver me a parcel. Even I was too shamefaced to start the year answering the door to him all crusty eyed and apologetic AGAIN.
Déjà vu much?
But I’m up and about and starting to do good stuff for myself whilst waiting for the rain to stop and my group therapy to start. Like drinking more water. Cutting down on sugar (as much as a wannabe baker can). Making tentative social plans for the week. Making plans for the year over all.
As whilst 2013 didn’t kick my butt down the stairs, it did very politely escort me to the elevator and press ‘B’ for basement as far as helping me achieve my aims was concerned.
But there was stuff I needed to see down there and I’m guessing I needed to go a bit further back, just so’s I can get a good run up when leaping forward into 2014 😉
Besides, good things came from 2013, without a doubt.
And whilst I do have some New Years Resolutions to keep front of mind this year, I’m not going to bore the tits off you lot with all of them. I’ll find other ways of letting you know how I progress in life. 🙂
But here are a couple that might resonate with some of you:
- Not swear like a foul mouthed chav/football support/navvy all the time
- Treat my body more like a temple and less like a graffiti covered, piss streaked bus stop in Peckham (whoops, did it again, gosh darn it!)
- Start one thing and finish it before embarking on something else. That should stop me disappearing into cyber space for hours on end when I’m meant to be working.
- Practice yoga. If it leads into a career path great, if not, I still benefit. NO PRESSURE.
- Workwise, stop fannying around (arghh!) doing things in a half hearted manner. If I’m going to act, I owe it to myself to make some kind of commitment, get some good photos done, build a portfolio and treat it like a business as opposed to a hobby.
- Focus my energy on things that count and move ME forward, and not rant about Piers Morgan/Gordon Ramsay, get caught up in reality TV, or spend days commenting on and sticking up for people like Nigella Lawson who is fabulous, but has/had a great legal team and, let’s face it, doesn’t even know that I exist.
- Eat uncooked jelly/jello as it’s meant to be good for the nails and mine are like paper.
- Groom my cats everyday and then they’ll vomit up fewer hairballs and I won’t walk out of the door looking like a yeti every day.
- And finally and most importantly, work hard to conquer the fear. After all, what’s the worst that will happen?
Don’t even think about answering that one!
After all I may be a cat lovin’, pill popping, fear filled freak, but one things for sure, I sure ain’t no pussy….
Happy 2014 one and all!