What giant step did you take where you hoped your leg wouldn’t break? Was it worth it, were you successful in walking on the moon, or did your leg break?
Space; The final front ear.
Or something like that. I can’t think straight right now. And I can’t be bothered to google it.
First of all I’d like to stress that I shouldn’t be here in the first place. I knew from the off that this wasn’t my planet.
But I stayed. I had no choice. I existed, I blended in as much as I could, and I survived. I did everything I could to fit in, pass for one of you, find a tribe, belong. But it never really worked and whether it was apparent to others or not, I have always been the loner, the odd one out, on the outside looking in. Humans are smart and their instincts subliminally warn them not to get too close to the alien in their midst.
‘You’re too honest/simplistic/blunt/frank/obvious/naive!’ they would chide/laugh/scold ‘That’s not how to make friends/do business/deal with confrontation/get what you want! You have to pretend/lie/bullshit/flatter/connive/kowtow/deceive to get things done! And if you don’t believe in what you’re doing or saying? Fake it to make it!’
‘Um, what about being myself?’ I’d ask
‘Urgh, what are you talking about? Who wants to see that?! No, you need to be different things for different people in order to get what you want in this life, so how could that work?’
So I act? Every time I encounter someone new I morph into my interpretation of what they want me to be?
But i was never any good at that.
And then one day, it all got too much, and I cracked and took that giant step when I walked out of my life, cut all ties and fled back to my own space where I could escape these mad, cruel, ruthless, lying freaks; hide, lick my wounds and regroup.
With the aid of hefty doses of Sertraline of course. My SSRI Sista. My saviour.
Space (bass?); How low can you go?
Pretty damn low actually. I was exhausted, battle torn and afraid.
But I had a plan, and that was to avoid the avaricious, ruthless, two faced members of this race and only mix with my true friends and the good humans. The honest, the true, the kind, the ethical, the like minded souls, and then I could just be myself, and they’d accept and love my fucked up personality disordered alien ass and I’d be able to settle into something vaguely resembling a life until the Big Guy figures out he dropped me off at the wrong stop.
So I lowered my meds, researched jobs/courses/activities/retreats and sought out the spiritual, the creative, the kind and the ethical and tried to get back into being back on the Mother Earth ship.
Are you surprised to discover that things didn’t quite work out as planned?
Turns out the spiritual/creative/ethical/kind etc. can also betray, lie, manipulate, hurt and let you down. So I now don’t trust anyone and I’m more alone than ever.
Take more happy pills and put your helmet on.
And now, I’m drifting, spaced, watching the minutes, hours, days tick by, vaguely aware that I’m running out of oxygen and trying to find it within me to give a shit.
And I don’t think George Clooney is coming any time soon to rescue me. 😦
So I drink, and sleep and drift and wait.
Planet earth is poo, and there’s nothing I can do.
And as much as somewhere under this cloud of chemicals I rage, seethe and despair of my pain and abandonment, I have to make myself remember.
It’s not you, it’s me.
No truer cliche has been quoth.
So I can stay like this or come down a bit, tune into my inner sat nav and try and find my way back by forgiving and making allowances for the failings and flaws of others.
But most of all my own.
So I pray. And hope.
That my prayers may break the sky in two
Believing the strangest things
Loving the Alien
Can you hear me Major Tom?
Trackbacks & Pingbacks
- Daily Prompt: Walking on the Moon | Basically Beyond Basic
- Daily Prompt: Walking on the Moon | a Portia Adams adventure
- My Giant Step – Daily Prompt | alienorajt
- Four Things I Learned About Freedom From an Uber-Strict Prep School | Kosher Adobo
- Daily Prompt: Walking on the Moon- Being Independent | Journeyman
- I Think My Leg Is Broken | Musings | WANGSGARD.COM
- Rocket To The Moon . | Crossroads
- A Rainy Day At Home (short story) and The Daily Prompt | The Jittery Goat
- One Crazy Mom » Taking the Next Step
- I’m Michael Jackson | Knowledge Addiction
- I Will Weather | Daily Prompt: Walking on the Moon | likereadingontrains
- DP Daily Prompt: Walking On The Moon | Sabethville
- Walking On The Moon – You Kidding! | Views Splash!
- Daily Prompt: The Giant Step — A Haiku: Sunday, February 23, 2014 | LisaRosier.com
- It’s All About Trying… | Life Confusions
- S. Thomas Summers: Writing with Some Ink and a Hammer | A Violin on Baker Street
- Daily Prompt: Walking on the Moon | Here I am !!
- Extinction | Perspectives on life, universe and everything
- Hunters – reloaded | Perspectives on life, universe and everything
- Inappropriate love | shame
- We Ought to Obey God Rather Than Men | Among the Whispers
- Daily Prompt: Walking on the Moon | tnkerr-Writing Prompts and Practice
- If You Lose Your Head While Cooking, It Insults My Intelligence | Bumblepuppies
- Daily Prompt: Walking on the Moon « Mama Bear Musings
- A giant step | Sue’s Trifles
- Have Faith In God | Flowers and Breezes
- I liked the place so much I bought more than the t-shirt! | thoughtsofrkh
- DAILY PROMPT: Risk | cockatooscreeching
- Dare To Dream | My Little Avalon