Forgot to buy oatcakes.
Wanted an oatcake.
No more Nairns for me!
Super easy and absolutely yummy. Much shorter (crispier/crunchier) than the bought variety, have a go!
50g butter or olive oil (I like 50/50 because you get some buttery flavour but it’s healthier than all butter)
100g medium oatmeal (if you only have regular, use a hand blender to make it finer)
100g plain flour, plus extra for rolling out
1 tsp baking powder
2 tsp poppy seeds
2 tsp sesame seeds
1-2 tblsp grated parmesan cheese
- Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6.
- Melt the butter in a small pan, then allow to cool slightly. Add oil if you are going 50/50 or just use the oil cold.
- Tip all the dry ingredients into a bowl, with 1 tsp sea salt, then pour in the butter/oil. Add 5-7 tbsp boiling water and combine to make a firm dough.
- Turn out the dough onto a lightly floured surface, then roll out until about 0.5cm thick. Cut using the cutter of your choice, moisten tops with a little water, then sprinkle with a little more sea salt if you like. then bake for 12-15 mins until golden.
- Leave to cool for a few mins, then transfer to a wire rack and cool completely.
- Slather with a really good butter, add a bit of cheese and chutney and enjoy.
This is the original recipe I adapt this from, but if you choose to follow this, for Gawd’s sake, DO NOT USE BICARBONATE OF SODA because it leaves a really shitty aftertaste in your mouth! x